I was working on my brothers laptop, with A/C power plugged in. But, I encountered this weird error which says “plugged in not charging” despite all the accessories(battery, charging cable, power cord and other) are working fine. What could be the reason, and moreover what’s the solution to overcome this laptop charging problem. If you are facing something similar, then here’s a quick guide to overcome the laptop charging issue. First thing, first. Go through this questionnaire.
- Is the laptop charging cable intact?
- What about the laptop’s power connector? It should not be loose.
If the accessories are alright and working fine, then try these steps.
Plugged in, not charging laptop solution
- If you are still plugged in to the A/C power supply, please disconnect. And Shutdown the laptop.
- Remove the battery, keep it aside. At-least for 15 – 20 minutes. Till then,
- Plugged in back to the A/C power supply, yeah, your laptop alone can work on A/C supply, in the absence of battery too. Start the laptop.
- Click on Start, type(in search bar) and move over to Device Manager. Under Battery, click on “Microsoft ACPI –Compliant Control Method Battery”. Uninstall the driver and scan for hardware changes. Update Drivers, if there is any update.
- Shutdown the laptop, disconnect the A/C power supply.
- Insert the battery, connect the A/C power and start it again.
- Try charging your laptop now, if that fixes your problem “plugged in not charging”, then that’s good. Enjoy. If not, read for more solutions to fix the problem.
Most probably, the above method will fix your laptop charging problem. If not, move over to the next solution. Some tips and tricks.
- Laptop battery over-heating could be one reason too. Over-heated battery will refuse to charge, as the temperature rises, the battery sensor misfires, telling the system that the battery is either fully charged or missing completely, causing the charging problems. So remove the battery and keep it aside, wait till it get back to its normal working temperature. At-least, wait for half an hour. Insert the battery and check whether it’s working or not.
- Like, I’m using Compaq Presario CQ40 313, so I checked my battery status via the HP Support Assistant built into my system. This will give you an exact answer, what’s the issue along with the working solution. So check this out with your laptop support system. Differs from manufacturer to manufacturer, you can refer your laptop manuals for this.
If the built-in support system remarks some severe issues, then I would recommend you to take your laptop to the nearest service centre. Rest, they will take care of it.
Now here are some,
Laptop Battery Charging Tips
- Charge the Laptop battery up to 99%, unplug the A/C power supply, then use it till it drains to 5% or less. In other words, get the most out of one cycle. Then charge it again.
- Let the battery charge to the fullest(99%) once it is plugged in, to charge. Don’t interrupt the charging process in between.
- Do not remove battery when A/C power supply is plugged in.
- Always store a battery in cool place.
- Use some cooling pads or some cooling agent to keep the battery under normal temperature.
- Follow these tips on this HP Support Forum and another good read over here at thinkdigit.
So that’s how you can tackle the “plugged in, not charging” laptop issue and do not forget to follow these after tips for the smooth functioning of your laptop battery. Please bring it to our notice, if you are still facing any issues.