Greasemonkey is one renowned Firefox Add-on which allows users to customize web pages with the help of user scripts. But would you like to use the same Greasemonkey scripts in Google Chrome too? Here’s how you can install and use Greasemonkey scripts in Google Chrome without using any Google Chrome Extension.
How To Install Greasemonkey Scripts In Google Chrome
- First of all, we need to have some Greasemonkey scripts to install and use in Google Chrome. Users can download Greasemonkey scripts from sources which offer user scripts. You can download few from userscripts.
- Unlike, Mozilla Firefox, you don’t need any Google Chrome Extension to install and use userscript in Google Chrome. Just go through the tutorial to install them in Google Chrome.
- Visit the link above, find a user script that you would like to use, and click on Install button(extreme top right), and if you are feeling a bit uncanny, you can click the link(just below the button) on how to install it.
- A download pop-up will appear at the bottom, click continue to download the script.
- Click on install when asked for confirmation by the confirmation window.
- Now the user script has been installed in Google Chrome. These scripts are converted into Google Chrome Extensions, so managing them is exactly the same.
User Script Installed! Testing Time
- The script we’ve downloaded will allow us to download Facebook photo album in a single click. So lets visit Facebook and check whether the script is working or not.
- On Facebook, when you’ll click down arrow button beside the Home button, you’ll see an option which would allow you to Download Facebook Albums. For more instruction on how to use it properly, please follow the directions given on the script page.
- That means our script is working and is supported by Google Chrome. But according to the statistics, 15% to 25% Greasemonkey scripts may not work in Google Chrome. I know, I had a hard time finding one(for demo) that works.
How To Remove Greasemonkey Scripts That Are Not Working In Google Chrome
- As said earlier, Greasemonkey scripts are converted into Google Chrome Extensions.
- To remove them, click on the wrench icon, move down to Tools and slide over to Extensions.
- There they are, just like other Google Chrome Extensions, click on the bin icon to remove them completely.
But hey, there’s a way out, there’s a way, using which you can force every Greasemonkey script to behave well with Google Chrome and Chromium web browser. But are you ready to use a Google Chrome Extension.
Use Google Chrome Extension To Install Greasemonkey Script In Google Chrome
- Either wait till Google Chrome resolve the issue or use some Google Chrome Extension that can well manage and force Greasemonkey scripts in Google Chrome.
- If you wish not to wait and use some alternative in a form of Google Chrome Extension, then, Tampermonkey is here for rescue. It is a userscript manager for Google Chrome and Chromium Browser.
- Install it from the Google Chrome Web Store and enjoy Greasemonkey scripts in Google Chrome just like as you enjoy them in Mozilla Firefox.
Greasemonkey scripts are a great way to tweak webpages on the fly and enjoy delicate features they are capable to make our web experience more simpler and even more useful and comfortable.
Related read :- Firebug For Chrome – Firebug Lite Google Chrome Extension
So enjoy every Greasemonkey script in Google Chrome and share your experience how you tweak your web pages using the same.